ABOUT THE INSTITUTE FOR CULTURAL EVOLUTION
The Institute for Cultural Evolution is a non-profit think & do tank devoted to advancing the evolution of culture and consciousness in America. Our work focuses on overcoming the polarization that threatens American democracy. Our theory of change is that culture and consciousness co-evolve when people expand the scope of what they can value.
Our work consists of three pillars: thought leadership & education, media & communications, and convenings & community-building.
Learn more at: www.culturalevolution.org/about-the-institute
ABOUT THE OPERATIONS ASSISTANT OPPORTUNITY
Our Operations Assistant will report to our Executive Director, and work closely with our ED along with the President to build and maintain a solid operational foundation for our work. You’re a great fit if you are an energetic, creative, and solution-oriented operations professional. You have a passion for organization-building and curiosity about (if not familiarity with) our developmental philosophy.
- Terms: Hourly role at 8-16 hours per week, with max 20 hours per week
- Level: Junior to Mid-level
- $30-40/hour, depending on experience
- Note: this position has the potential to grow into a bigger project management and/or fundraising support role, with benefits
- Location: Virtual position. Employees must provide computer hardware to work remotely, but the Institute will cover any specialized software costs required by the position. Must live in the continental U.S. and be available for occasional travel.
RESPONSIBILITIES & OUTCOMES
Develop and onboard our team to a new ‘working system’
- Propose and implement new tools, e.g. G-Suite, Slack
- Create an employee handbook, e.g. with the Institute’s holidays
- Develop and implement an onboarding process for new team members
- Create an Institute calendar with our holidays
Maintain organizational financials
- Classify expenses in Quickbooks
- Receive donations and send out thank you letters for small donations
- Work with bookkeeper to record expenses and create quarterly P&Ls
- Maintain cash flow projections
- Create quarterly financial reports for board
Lead other operational workstreams
- Support with project management across workstreams, e.g. by maintaining a Gantt chart of production schedules
- Create and maintain a spreadsheet of contacts, including influencer targets
- Support with basic communications tasks, e.g. field email to info@ address, update the website
- Schedule Board meetings and Senior Fellows meetings
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Ideal candidates will have some combination of the following:
- 3+ years of experience (or equivalent) with operations — experience with small non-profits is a plus
- Successful track record of creating new operational infrastructure
- Proficiency in Excel, QuickBooks, and project management tools including Gantt charts
- Passion for working in a startup environment — be willing to roll up your sleeves, get creative about problem-solving, and do what it takes to get the job done
- Familiarity with or curiosity about the Institute’s developmental philosophy
The Institute for Cultural Evolution encourages individuals of all learning styles, ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described as we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to supporting this work. We are an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, religion, sex, gender, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local law or that of persons with whom that individual associates, or any other legally protected characteristics.