ABOUT THE INSTITUTE FOR CULTURAL EVOLUTION
The Institute for Cultural Evolution is a non-profit think & do tank devoted to advancing the evolution of culture and consciousness in America. Our work focuses on overcoming the polarization that threatens American democracy. Our theory of change is that culture and consciousness co-evolve when people expand the scope of what they can value.
Our work consists of three pillars: thought leadership & education, media & communications, and convenings & community-building.
Learn more at: www.culturalevolution.org/about-the-institute
ABOUT THE COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER OPPORTUNITY
Our Communications Manager will report to our Executive Director, and collaborate closely with our ED along with our President to develop and execute a communications strategy that amplifies our impact. You’re a great fit if you are an energetic, growth-oriented, metrics-driven, and social media-savvy communications professional. You have a keen sense of the cultural zeitgeist and curiosity about (if not familiarity with) our developmental philosophy.
- Terms: Permanent role either full-time or 4 days per week.
- Level: Junior to Mid-level
- Annual full-time salary $60-$80K, (pro-rated if less than full-time) depending on experience
- Employees have unlimited PTO and are reimbursed up to 10K per year for their families’ private medical and dental insurance
- Location: Virtual position. Employees must provide computer hardware to work remotely, but the Institute will cover any specialized software costs required by the position. Must live in the continental U.S. and be available for occasional travel.
RESPONSIBILITIES & OUTCOMES
Lay the groundwork for a strong communications strategy
- Incorporate our new Brand Book into all channels, from our websites to social media
- Optimize SEO across all channels
- Develop and implement a process for learning about our audience, e.g. via email surveys
Develop and implement our communications strategy
- Develop a strategy for how often to publish what content on which channels, including our online magazine, website blog, email, and social media with a primary focus on Twitter
- Create and manage a shareable editorial calendar
- Be the voice of the Institute on social media, and develop a strategy for monitoring and responding to comments
- Keep your finger on the pulse of political culture
- Create metrics, track our success, report-back to the team, and adapt metrics as necessary
Develop and implement our promotion strategy
- Create and implement a promotion process for every piece of content we produce
- Create a pitch list — including publications to pitch our articles & op-eds, podcasts to pitch ourselves as guests, and conferences to pitch ourselves as speakers
- Create and implement an outbound press strategy, e.g. for having a steady stream of podcast appearances
- Develop and implement a paid marketing strategy
Manage our growing community
- Manage the Developmental Alliance – coordinate our monthly community Zoom discussions by ensuring we have speakers and liaising with volunteers
- Help manage our Senior Fellows program – work with our Senior Fellows to publish original content and generally amplify the impact of the program
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Ideal candidates will have some combination of the following:
- 2-5+ years of experience (or equivalent) communicating and promoting complex ideas to mainstream audiences
- Successful track record of pitching publications, podcasts, and other outlets — relationships with journalists and cultural influencers are a plus
- Successful track record of building social media audiences — from scratch is a plus
- Savviness about navigating ideological tribalism — a feel for how to communicate in a way that is ‘politically un-pigeonhole-able’
- Social media savviness — knowledge of growth hacking, digital ads, and A/B testing
- Experience with online community management
- Strong copywriter with attention to detail
- Experience setting and tracking Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Experience using analytics to learn and iterate
- Capacity to keep up with the zeitgeist, e.g. knowledge of the latest memes and hashtags
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop), WordPress CMS, and WP Bakery page design
- Experience optimizing SEO for websites and social media
- Capacity to produce short videos and infographics
- Passion for working in a startup environment — be willing to roll up your sleeves, get creative about problem-solving, and do what it takes to get the job done
- Familiarity with or curiosity about the Institute’s developmental philosophy
The Institute for Cultural Evolution encourages individuals of all learning styles, ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described as we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to supporting this work. We are an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, religion, sex, gender, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local law or that of persons with whom that individual associates, or any other legally protected characteristics.