In this 50 minute recorded conversation, ICE Board Member Jeff Salzman and I talk about my new paper, published on this website, titled Overcoming Polarization by Evolving Both Right and Left: How Polarity Theory Provides a Path to Political Progress.
The ideas we explore in the podcast include:
• Why we should we care about political polarization
• Why centrism doesn’t work
• How developmental psychology and polarity theory shed light on the challenge
• How suppressing one side of a polarity empowers its shadow
• How the upside of one pole checks the downside of the other
• The practice: increasing the scope of what we are able to value
In the podcast I’m able to unpack the ideas in the paper in an accessible and entertaining way. Please check it out if you have a chance: https://www.dailyevolver.com/2016/03/steve-mcintosh-on-polarity-theory-and-a-path-forward-in-us-politics-plus-donald-trump
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Institute for Cultural Evolution
743 Pine Street
Boulder, Colorado 80302 USA
The Institute for Cultural Evolution is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, tax-exempt organization.
Critical Social Justice vs The Omni-American Vision - http://eepurl.com/hLu8N1
Check out today’s episode of This Week in the NYT, with @DailyEvolver. In this episode Jeff discusses how a post-progressive “hard but real compromise is possible” on abortion and how the role of women is devolving and evolving in the Muslim world.
3) Increasing ideological capture of the curriculum by progressive activists
4) Lack of adequate civic and moral education and programs for character development
In our most recent issue position on Education, we address 4 major issues locked up in the culture war:
1)Public school funding is often inadequate and unequal
2)American student performance and engagement lags internationally
Check out this fantastic interview that Eric Smith and Mike Bowen of @FreeBlckThought have with @gregthomas22
In it, Greg describes a highly needed post-progressive approach to anti-racism and previews the upcoming Shaping an Omni-American Future event.